Shift #22 - Research Plan Creation & Collections Research
Wednesday, June 12, 2024 | 8:15-10 pm CST/9:15-11 pm EST (1 hr & 45 min)
Details
Michelle Hurt, student/intern
Jennifer Gonzalez, practicum supervisor
This is a screenshot of the beginnings of my research plan for my blog post. Though not required, my supervisor and small group mentor suggested the research plan for those interested.
Tonight, I really wanted to get started on my research plan. This was something that Jennifer talked about during our second quarter orientation meeting on Monday and I felt like this was something needed for myself. I like being methodical and with a lot of information before, having a plan is best. So, with my Excel spreadsheet open, I created a master list of resources from search results on the Law Library of Congress website. I initially used the keyword "piracy" in the "research center" search bar and after looking through 9 pages of search results, I wondered when piracy laws began in the U.S. After a quick Google search, I saw that it was in 1790 that Congress passed the first piracy law in our country. With that information, I found the U.S. Statutes at Large, Volume 1 (1789-1799), 1st through 5th Congress when I used a filter to search by year. I marked this on my notes to return to it later for reference. I populated my research plan with what seemed to be promising sources but as I looked into them further, many articles were about modern piracy which is not what I am writing about. I then shifted gears to just looking at the Piracy Trials collection since these are historical documents and jotted down sources that I will read later.
After I had a solid start on my research plan, I went back to reading about Stede Bonnet. Here is some more information that I learned! After many pirate attacks and blockades, South Carolina grew tired of any and all pirates. Governor Robert Johnson came up with a plan and created a small force to hunt down Bonnet and other pirates that would dare come to the South Carolina coast. They managed to get to Bonnet and an hours-long fight happened between Bonnet and his crew and the government force. Eventually, Bonnet realized he couldn't win and gave up fighting, along with the remaining crew members. Bonnet actually escaped but was quickly caught. His crew's trial began one month after his own trial started. The crew members each had their own trial and Bonnet stood trial on his own at the Admiralty court, a court that dealt specifically with maritime law as it related to civil and criminal cases.

Comments
Post a Comment